Job Posting: Administrative Assistant
Literacy Council Overview
For over fifty years, the Literacy Council of Reading-Berks has been a leading provider of adult education and workforce training in Berks County. The Literacy Council serves two audiences, adults and businesses, and offers classes, workshops, one-on-one tutoring, and off-site training. As a partner agency of the United Way of Berks County, the Literacy Council manages adult ESL (English as a Second Language) programs throughout the community through our English Forward Program.
The Council’s programs focus on four positive outcomes: Read and Write Proficiently; Become a Productive Citizen; Prepare for Work; and, Achieve Success on the Job.
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing general administrative support to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors (as needed). This highly responsible role will have frequent interaction with high-level executives and board members and will be privy to sensitive and confidential information requiring discretion. The Administrative Assistant helps organize the Council’s annual Readers WIN! fundraiser.
Essential Functions (not limited to):
• Record in-kind contributions, monetary contributions, and special funds; prepare correspondence for the Executive Director’s signature
• Take and distribute minutes of staff meetings, and any other meetings as requested by the Executive Director
• Answer telephone in the absence of the Receptionist; answer all calls requiring Spanish language
• Coordinate the preparation of, and mail, the Council’s bi-monthly newsletter
• Coordinate large mailings
• Maintain an inventory of supplies, order supplies, make service calls for office equipment
• Attend Council events and provide general support as needed
• Other duties as required
Conditions of employment, including hourly rate, benefits, and work expectations are outlined in detail in the employment offer letter. General terms include:
• A candidate must assent to and pass a criminal background check, the cost of which will be paid for by the Council.
• The normal workload consists of forty hours per week, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Some evenings and weekends may be required infrequently.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Required: High school diploma or equivalent; minimum 2 – 4 years’ experience in a similar position
Fluent in verbal and written English and Spanish
Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, specifically Word, Outlook, Excel, and Publisher
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will exhibit the following characteristics:
• A passion for contributing to the success of the Literacy Council and its students
• A well-balanced, flexible and adaptable nature
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
• Respectful of the values, cultural differences and expectations of the students
The position is available on May 24, 2019.
Please note: No phone calls. Letters of interest, resumes, and two letters of recommendation addressing the candidate’s qualifications must be submitted by March 29, 2019, to:
Mr. Ryan A. Breisch, Executive Director
Literacy Council of Reading-Berks, Inc.
35 South Dwight Street
West Lawn, PA 19609
The Literacy Council of Reading-Berks Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. The Literacy Council will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or status with regard to public assistance.
Revised February 28, 2019